Monday, November 7, 2011

Loutallica


This is an illustration I did for an Italian music and pop culture magazine called XL. The idea was to do something of a 'superhero' take on the musicians. While it started out as an interior illo to accompany an article, the editors liked it enough to make it the cover. Big challenge, this piece, and lots of lessons learned.

Lesson 1: Likenesses are a bitch.

Lesson 2: Black and white with spot color almost always works

Lesson 3: Kirk Hammett looks a bit too much like Chris Cornell. Then again, is that a bad thing?

Speaking of things metal, I'm sure many of you have already heard of The Sword, but if not I highly recommend you check them out. Old School metal done well, complete with song titles that make firey dragons on green planets screech in the night. Gather you broadsword and take flight. ;)

1 comment:

  1. One of my fave artists rendering one of my fave bands?
    Class...shame about "Lulu" though :(

    ReplyDelete